How do you boil beans?
Drain soaked beans and transfer to a large pot.
Cover by 2 inches with cold water, add onion and bay leaves and bring to a boil; skim off and discard any foam on the surface.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer, gently stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
How do you tenderize green beans?
Using a high concentration of salt in the blanching water (2 tablespoons per quart of water) allows the green beans to tenderize rapidly, so their bright green color is preserved. The large amount of salt in the blanching water penetrates the beans’ sturdy skins to season them more fully than smaller amounts would.
How do you cook old green beans?
- Wash beans and snap them into 1 1/2″ pieces, discarding ends.
- Cover with water and add salt and bacon grease.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and continue cooking for about an hour.
- Pour off water and add 2 T butter.
How long should I boil corn?
Bring the water to a boil over medium heat. Add the peeled corn on the cob. Cover and return to a boil. Cook for 5-7 minutes.