Do you need to cook canned chickpeas?
Canned chickpeas are already cooked and ready to serve, so you can eat them immediately or use them with other ingredients.
To prepare dried chickpeas, you will need extra time.
What can you do with canned chickpeas?
11 Things You Can Do With a Can of Chickpeas
- Stuff them into sandwiches. Pita filled with a mix of chickpeas, vegetables, and cheese is one filling lunch.
- Toss them with pasta. Chickpeas add texture, flavor, and heft to any pasta dish.
- Whirl them into hummus.
- Roast them.
- Add them to curry.
- Mix them with sautéed greens.
- Fry up some falafel.
- Add them to roast chicken.
How do you cook canned chickpeas on the stove?
How To Cook Canned Chickpeas
- Drain the canned chickpeas.
- Rinse canned chickpeas with water.
- Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan with 1/2 cup water.
- Cook canned chickpeas over medium heat and add oil and seasonings.
- Heat chickpeas for 30 minutes.
- The chickpeas are ready to eat or save for later.
Can you eat chickpeas raw from the can?
If they are plump and soft in a can, they will have been cooked, they are not raw and are safe to consume without the need for additional heating or cooking. To consume raw chickpeas, you may soak them overnight in pure water, drain and rinse and leave to sprout (the peas will swell and a tiny ‘tail’ will emerge).