- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and warm for 1 1/2 minutes and the butter is melted.
- Crack the egg on a flat surface (not the skillet edge) and add to the skillet.
- Pour the water around the outside edge of the egg. Cover with the lid.
- Sunny side up – Cook 1 1/2 minutes.
How do you fry eggs in a cast iron skillet?
- Very fresh eggs are best for frying. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet (or non-stick skillet) over medium heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add egg to the skillet. Immediately cover with a lid and let egg cook for 2 minutes.
Can I cook eggs in cast iron skillet?
For scrambled eggs you want to let them set in the bottom of the pan for just a couple of minutes, then gently stir them around periodically. Whether fried or scrambled, be sure to turn the pan off before your eggs are completely cooked since the cast-iron holds heat and will continue to cook them.19 Jan 2015
How do you keep eggs from sticking to cast iron?
What temperature do you cook eggs in a cast iron skillet?
Individual skillet baked eggs with thyme and Parmesan cheese make an elegant and cozy breakfast. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat a 6 1/2 inch cast iron skillet over high heat on the stove for 1 minute, then turn off the burner. Add butter and swirl around the pan until the bottom is coated.22 Jul 2019
What should not be cooked in cast iron?
Here are five things you should avoid cooking in a cast-iron skillet.
- Tomato Sauce. Acidic foods like tomatoes can damage the seasoning, or the nonstick coating, of your skillet.
- Wine-Braised Meats.
- Delicate Fish.
27 Aug 2019
Can you cook bacon in a cast iron skillet?
Lay the bacon in the cold cast iron pan so that the bacon isn’t touching. Place the pan over medium heat. Let the bacon slowly heat and cook as the pan heats for about 10 minutes.
Can you cook with butter in a cast iron skillet?
Do not use olive oil or butter to season your cast iron pan—they’re great to cook with, just not for initial seasoning. This process of baking on a layer of oil builds up the pan’s naturally protective patina, smoothing out the rough texture of the cast iron and creating a nonstick finish without sprayed-on chemicals.
Why are eggs sticking to my cast iron?
Remember: Cast iron pans hold on to heat, so the second you add your eggs, turn the heat all the way down. Remember to let the eggs firm up just a bit so the proteins can coagulate before agitating the eggs (this prevents them from sticking as well).
What is the best oil to season cast iron?
Vegetable oil and shortening are the most commonly recommended oils used for seasoning, but according to Lodge, you can use any oil of your choice. Rub: Use a clean cloth or paper towel to rub the coat around the entire skillet.
Is bacon good for cast iron?
The test kitchen staff likes well-seasoned cast-iron for cooking bacon. Not only does it conduct heat evenly (meaning no burnt spots), the bacon grease helps season the pan for future use. It’s a win-win.