How long should you cook a 10-lb. Turkey?
- Roasting Takes Hours. One way to cook a 10-lb. turkey is to roast it in the oven.
- Deep-Frying Is Faster. Deep-frying a completely-thawed 10-pound turkey takes about 35 minutes. Deep-frying a turkey is a popular way to cook the bird in the southern United States.
- Bottom Line. Time to eat!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Place rack in the lowest position of the oven. Advertisement
- Remove the turkey neck and giblets, rinse the turkey, and pat dry with paper towels. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan.
- Place turkey in the oven, and pour 2 cups turkey stock into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter, and let it stand for at least 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
How long does it take to cook a turkey in the oven?
This table from the USDA is based on a 325°F oven, and a fully defrosted or fresh bird.
(For an unstuffed bird, we’re talking roughly 15 minutes per pound.) If you want to cook a frozen turkey, it will take at least 50 percent longer than the recommended times.
Your turkey will cook faster in a 325°F convection oven.
Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
Roast the turkey uncovered at a temperature ranging from 325°F to 350°F. Higher temperatures may cause the meat to dry out, but this is preferable to temperatures that are too low which may not allow the interior of the turkey to cook to a safe temperature.
How do I cook turkey instructions?
- Prepare the turkey for roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Add liquid to the roasting pan.
- Place the turkey in the oven and turn down the heat.
- Roast the turkey.
- Baste the turkey every 45 minutes.
- Check the turkey’s temperature.
- Rest the turkey before carving.
What temperature do you cook turkey at?
Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. The thermometer should point towards the body, and should not touch the bone. What temperature to cook a turkey: Place the bird on a rack in a roasting pan, and into a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven (or follow recipe instructions).