What is the best way to cook okra?
2. Cook the Okra
- Bring a small amount of lightly salted water to boiling in a saucepan. Add the okra.
- How long to cook fresh okra: Cover the pan and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well and, if desired, toss with a little butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
How do you make okra and tomatoes from scratch?
- Add olive oil to a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add in onions and saute until tender. Add garlic.
- Pour in diced tomatoes and toss in okra. Stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes until the okra has become tender.
- Toss in salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
9 Jul 2012
How do you cook okra so it is not slimy?
A second trick for reducing sliminess is to soak the okra in vinegar for half an hour before cooking it. Rinse it and pat dry before cooking. Finally, you can pre-cook okra at very high heat by sautéing, roasting, blanching or grilling. Then add cooked okra to your recipe and there will be hardly any slime at all.
How do you clean and cut fresh okra?
Suggested clip 58 seconds
Okra 101 – YouTube
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip
How long does it take to boil fresh okra?
The secret to tender boiled okra with a little snap is to drop the pods into a pot of boiling water and cook on high heat for a short time. For shorter, younger pods, cook 3 to 4 minutes, covered, at a rolling boil. For longer, more mature pods, up to 8 minutes might be required.
What are the side effects of eating okra?
Risks and precautions
Eating too much okra can adversely affect some people. Gastrointestinal problems: Okra contains fructans, which is a type of carbohydrate. Fructans can cause diarrhea, gas, cramping, and bloating in people with existing bowel problems. Kidney stones: Okra is high in oxalates.
What are the benefits of okra?
The bottom line
Okra is a nutritious food with many health benefits. It’s rich in magnesium, folate, fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin C, K1, and A. Okra may benefit pregnant women, heart health, and blood sugar control.
How do you make fried okra from scratch?
In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, House Seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk and then dredge in cornmeal-flour mixture to coat well. Carefully add okra to the hot oil and cook until golden brown. (It may be necessary to fry the okra in batches.)
What goes good with okra?
- Chile-Rubbed Chops with Sweet Potatoes and Grilled Okra.
- Charred Okra with Tomatillos.
- Charred Okra with Tomatoes.
- Roasted Potato-and-Okra Salad.
- Hoppin’ John and Limpin’ Susan.
- Oven-Fried Shrimp and Okra Louisiana Po’boys.
- Smashed Fried Okra.
- Skillet-Roasted Okra and Shrimp.
When okra is bad?
Ground okra seeds are even used as a coffee substitute. Tell if okra has gone bad by inspecting the firm green pods — if they’re soft, squishy, brown, throw them away. Be aware that depending on how it’s prepared, good okra may take on a slimy texture when cooked, but this doesn’t indicate spoilage.
How do you know when it’s time to pick okra?
Harvest okra as soon as it ripens as okra left on the plant too long becomes tough and woody.
- Watch for okra to ripen five to six days after the appearance of flowers.
- Look for pods that are 2 to 4 inches long as larger pods are generally not suitable for use and are usually discarded.
Can you eat okra raw?
The entire okra plant is edible. The leaves can be eaten raw in salads or cooked like any other greens. Okra pods can even be eaten raw. The less cooked okra is, the better it is for you.